Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: O.T. ID this whopper

  1. #1
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    O.T. ID this whopper

    I stumbled across this snippet in an old Popular Science today. Anyone know the rest of the story?
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. ID this whopper

    dunno, but thats pure cool
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  3. #3
    Inactive Member notloudenough's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2008
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. ID this whopper

    Is that a young Gene Cerwinzinsky?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. ID this whopper

    It came from a 1940 issue. "Eastern manufacturer" seems to be the only other real clue.

    I assume the 500lbs includes the iron stand? Wonder if the driver supported the baffle?
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. ID this whopper

    Hmmm... a 6" voice coil in 1940. Kinda renders the LH claim for the '48 D130 moot;

    "The 4" flat wire coil was the single most innovative feature of this design. It was the first low frequency driver to incorporate a coil of this large diameter."
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. ID this whopper

    Hmmmm..... I've seen that beast before, somehwere. Must have been in some old speaker book I had. No idea what it is, tho.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. ID this whopper

    I'm guessing any eastern mfr with such capabilities would have diverted production to wartime activities shortly after the March 1940 announcement. This whopper may never have seen much production beyond the protoype(s).

    You can bet if one showed on eBay it would be "local pickup only"...
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. ID this whopper

    Quote Originally Posted by notloudenough View Post
    Is that a young Gene Cerwinzinsky?
    I dunno. Here's a "young" Gene Czerwinski (of C-V fame).

    cerwin vega gene
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. ID this whopper

    Beats me. This one is almost as big - Precision Devices International Limited

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: O.T. ID this whopper

    Dr. Rudolf Kerneau?

    Western Electric

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.